Monday, July 21, 2008

Melee Mayhem: Day Two

In the morning, I attempted to work out in the in-house gym with the fellas. Before I could bend a knee, Lisa Lisa (or just Lisa, as I know her now) walks in with one of her dancers. She greets us with a smiley "good morning, boys!" I surprisingly maintained my cool and greeted her back. Needless to say, we were all pretty starstruck.

We then responded to a buzz about a breakfast buffet that included bacon, a phenomenal eggs benedict on a bed of cornbread and guava mimosas, amongst other delicious breakfast dishes. It was the best breakfast I have ever had. Straight up. Monstered it.

IMG_0975

Ran out to the beach. Watched in maniacal laughter as Phil and Chris struggled to get into a kayak, wearing matching Crooks shorts. TWIN SISTERS=TWISTERS! Passed the fuck out on a lounge chair near the pool, that I had intended on jumping into before I went down for the count. Woke up to the Kaba Modern posse working their way towards the bar. Hollered at 'em, at headed to the room to work on my mix for the show.

IMG_0979

The Wowie had me stuck. I almost forgot how to use ProTools. Lost track of time, giving me only five minutes to get in the shower and hop in the van for our tech rehearsal for the Summer Melee show. I was late by twelve minutes.

After marvelling at our spacious, vanity-equipped dressing room, we decided to check out Kaba's tech rehearsal. After they wrapped up, I stepped up to the plate to set up for our run-through. Fired up my laptop, pulled up Serato, sighed in relief that my hard drive had actually been read. And as soon as I plugged in the Serato box, my MacBook gives me the screen of death, which prompted me to restart my computer in seven different languages. Luckily, DJ C let me transfer the files to his computer so I could run my show from it.

IMG_1001
IMG_1000
IMG_0993


Our run-through went real smooth. Wish I could've said the same for my computer. These guys never cease to amaze me. I was finally able to see what the fellas had been brewing up to our new batch of songs. Afterwards, we lounged back at the hotel until showtime.


We headed back to the venue around 9pm to get dressed for the show. I had a chance to catch Lisa Lisa performing "Let the Beat Hit 'Em into a housey medley of "Head To Toe", "Lost In Emotion" and "I Wonder If I Take You Home". She's still a powerhouse, and looks great in person. Backstage, I managed to get a video drop from the L-Double herself, which I will post later.

IMG_1015

Kaba Modern hit the stage and completely ripped it. In fact, they rocked a few sets, from my understanding. Every time I ran into them, they were panting and sweating bullets.

Showtime. A sea of what appeared to be about 3000+ fans erupted in shrieks and chants. I did my opening set and brought the fellas out to the stage. Needless to say, they left it smoking. It was great to see the new routine, with our new music, in full costume. At the last piano note of the set, I popped up with a mask and hat on. I love how these guys get me as fully involved as possible.

Right after, it was straight into a van to catch a flight to Oahu for a quick night club gig. After a slight delay, a freestyle (rap) session with Phil and Chris (LLB!), and some unsuspecting fans, which included a 20-deep troupe of pre-teen polynesian dancers, we jetted to a place called Level 4.

IMG_1018

A theater by day, night club by night, this place was ridiculously packed. But with help from my boys in security (Big Kevin!). I got through the hot, sweaty crowd without a problem. They had me feeling mad important while they shoved people by their faces to let me through. Just kidding.

IMG_1025

The Jabbas hit the stage, tore it out the frame, and again, left it smoking. We decided to stay for a while and chill out in our own VIP section. I got trashed. But it was a good opportunity to chill out with Belle and Stephanie (of Jabbawockeez LLC aka the Jabbawifeys). They are both very genuine peeps. Definitely can't wait to hang out with them again.

IMG_1029
IMG_1028

Again, we were put in baller-ass hotels. This time, we all had our own rooms. This is when your groupie-less hero retires to his room to get a wink of sleep in.

No comments: