Friday, July 18, 2008

Kidnapped by 5 dudes in masks and taken to Hawaii.

I'm so tired. I haven't slept a wink. I'm sooooooo tired. My mind is on the brink....

After a long night of DJing and getting my grind on (in more ways than one, wink-wink) at FM Thursdays (my weekly residency in SJ with my FB cohorts and good indusrty buds Mass Production), and an elegant dinner at Denny's, I jetted home to pack for my ten day excursion with the Jabbawockeez. Our mission starts in Maui, where we will be rocking the Summer Melee with Lisa Lisa (sans Cult Jam), Kaba Modern, one of the original Cover Girls, and a gang of local acts.

So with paradise just a flight away, why was I dumped in Salt Lake City for a THREE HOUR LAYOVER?! And to top it off, there aren't any designated smoking areas to be found. I'm thinking these smoking rooms have been phased out of all US airports in the last couple of years. The last time I found myself in one of these death boxes was in Atlanta, Georgia a couple years back. It was very nasty and I couldn't help but feel like I (and evryone else in there) was being put on display as an example of how not to live your life. It had me questioning my uncontrollable need for nicotine. What I wouldn't give for a death box right now.

Well, I can keep bitching like a bitchy bee-itch, or I can make good of the situation. When life gives you three hour layovers, make beats. Here's my mobile setup:

IMG_0941


Finally, after a total of eleven hours on the plane, I finally made it to Maui. Karey, the promoter picked me up from the airport. Met up with the fellas at the hotel, had some foofy drinks, had dinner with Kaba Modern and Angel of the Cover Girls. And then, she came...

Lisa Lisa (!) and I, chillin' at dinner.

IMG_0955

Then on to sign some autographs with the fellas. I didn't think I was going to sign any, but the kids know about us out here! That was nice.


IMG_0959

IMG_0966

IMG_0970

Later, DJ C and Kutmaster Spaz invite me to spin a set at the meet and greet. My laptop decided to make me look bad by not reading my external drive, which carries about 98% of my entire music selection for DJ sets.

After a few restarts, I just decide to rock whatever was on DJ C's laptop, which luckily included James Brown's "Funky Drummer". So, I doubled up on that like any self-respecting hip-hop DJ would.

After a Henn and Coke (for my FBs back at home, and a lengthy phone conversation with a new friend, it was back to the room for some room service ($30 for a Turkey Sandwich and two cans of Guava Juice?!), and some long-anticipated sleep...

2 comments:

abstruse-void said...

DUDE! sounds like so much fun, we miss you at home so much and wish you the best time! i can't believe how long you will be gone, who's gonna hold down the stoop with me???
ah well, its all happening man, and i'm so proud of you! love it! and love you! con amor <3= bells!

deejae408 said...

awesomeeeee. I miss the BAY man and i miss hanging out at your guys' parties. Japan doesn't have that bay area swagger and the tunes i'm used to. I need that 808 man. hahah I'm exctied for you to check out GUAM, you are gonna love the food, make sure you eat the Shrimp Keleguin. It is the best. Hope all is well homie. Keep on doin it.

Dee Jae